Thursday, May 30, 2013

Day 5...Lydney to Clun 96 miles.... 370 miles to date

What a day!!!!!! @$&/... it was definitely the toughest so far. One because I had almost a steady 15 mph headwind gusting to 30 mph. Two because I got lost a couple of times I ended up doing 96 miles. The weather was 62 degrees and mostly overcast with sun peeking through, throughout the day. After a porridge breakfast, I set out at 8:00 a.m. From Lydney to Chepstow and then up the Wye Valley to Monmouth. 
Passed Tintern Abbey built in 1131.


The picturesque Wye Valley

Hereford calf's and their mom.

Arrived in Hereford around 1:45 pm and was treated to a great homemade lunch chicken vegetable soup and a tuna sandwich by my sister Penny. Back on the road at 2:45 pm. and soon after I started getting lost. I had done 50 miles to Hereford and should have traveled an additional 35 to Clun. It ended up being an additional 46 miles.
After I took the photo of the cows, I quickly passed Hampton Court Castle. Realizing it was a great photo opportunity, I quickly stopped (on an upgrade) and attempted to turn around when traffic cleared. As I turned, I did not get enough forward momentum to stay balanced and fell into the roadside burm into dogwoods and nettles. Luckily I took a soft landing and did not fall into the road. My ego a little bruised, I recovered and took the Castle photo.

Hampton Court Castle near Leominster

Tudor homes in Pembridge

I finally arrived in Clun at 7:50 p.m. almost 12 hours on the bike. Quickly checked in at the White Horse Inn. I preordered my meal as the kitchen was closing at 8:30 pm and ran upstairs to take a quick shower. Came back downstairs to a nice glass of wine and a Lamb Chop dinner, with mashed potatoes, peas, carrots and mint sauce...yummy! I devoured it.
Today I burned 4,382 calories and climbed 6,289 ft. No wonder I feel wiped! Stay tuned......

No comments:

Post a Comment